Terms & Conditions:
Last updated 03 September 2002
The following Terms and Conditions apply to the Business City Guide (BCG) web site, which is owned and operated by Internet Commercial Information Services Limited (ICIS). By accessing the web site, you are agreeing to abide and be bound by such Terms and Conditions.
Unless specifically stated otherwise, Internet Commercial Information Services Limited (ICIS), owns copyright or license to publish all material within The Business City Guide (BCG) and all rights are hereby reserved by ICIS. Users may access the material in the BCG solely for their own personal, non-commercial use. Users may not otherwise download or copy, store in any medium (including any other web site), distribute, transmit, re-transmit, modify or show in public any part of the BCG without the prior written consent of ICIS.
Anyone wishing to make enquiries about licensing material from the BCG should contact the editorial team:
All material is prepared and presented by ICIS. The editorial staff of The Times, The Sunday Times and Times Online are not involved in the production of this material.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in the BCG, ICIS cannot offer any warranty that all material is without factual errors. ICIS will not be held liable for any loss or damage, consequential or otherwise, suffered by any user as a direct or indirect result of any such inaccuracies or incorrectness of the information contained herein.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- Acceptable Use Policy
- E-mail Policy
- Software and Security
- Changes to these Terms and Conditions
- Advertising and Sponsorship
- Competitions, Prize Draws and Chargeable Content
- Choice of Law and Jurisdiction
- Information Management
In these Terms and Conditions the following terms shall have the meanings set out below:
"The Publisher" means Internet Commercial Information Services Ltd, whose registered office is at: 4th Floor, St Alphgate House, 2 Fore Street, London EC2Y 5DH, England.
"Web site" means the web site available at 'bcglocations.com' and any other site or web address owned and/or operated by The Publisher.
2. Acceptable Use Policy
You agree to abide by all applicable laws, regulations and codes of conduct and ensure that any content uploaded or distributed or stored by you does not infringe the rights of others.
All material on the web site and any material sent to you by e-mail or any other form from the web site (the "content ") or in any way relating to the web site belongs to The Publisher. You may retrieve and display content from the web site on a computer screen, print a single copy of individual pages on paper and store such pages for caching purposes only, all for your personal and non-commercial use alone.
Unless specifically stated otherwise, The Publisher owns the copyright (and/or license to publish) and all other intellectual property rights associated with the content.
You may not do any of the following without prior written permission from The Publisher:
- reproduce other than allowed under this Acceptable Use Policy, modify or in any way commercially exploit any of the content;
- redistribute any of the content (including using it as part of any library, archive or similar service);
- remove the copyright or trade mark notice(s) from any copies of content made in accordance with these Terms and Conditions;
- create a database in electronic or structured manual form by systematically downloading and storing all and/or any of the content. Requests to republish, redistribute or syndicate content should be addressed to: .
In accessing the web site, you agree not to:
- impersonate another person or use a false name or a name you are unauthorised to use or create a false identity or e-mail address or try to mislead others as to the identity or origin of any communications;
- modify, access or make available data stored on a computer device which you have accessed through The Publisher's network;
- make available or upload files that contain software or other material, data or information not owned or licensed to you or collect information about others (eg names/addresses) without their prior consent;
- damage, interfere with or disrupt access to the web site or do anything which may interrupt or impair their functionality;
- make any commercial or business use of the web site or resell or commercially benefit from any part or aspect of the web site;
- publish, post, distribute, disseminate or otherwise transmit defamatory, offensive, infringing, obscene, indecent or other unlawful or objectionable material or information;
- threaten, harass, stalk, abuse, disrupt or otherwise violate the rights (including rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
- make available, upload or distribute by any means any material or files that contain any viruses, bugs, corrupt data, "trojan horses", "worms" or any other harmful software;
- falsify the true ownership of software or other material or information contained in files made available via the web site;
- obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorised access, through whatever means, to the web site, other services or computer systems or areas of The Publisher's network;
- set up links from any web site controlled by you to any page, except to the home page of the web site, without The Publisher's express written permission.
The Publisher retains the absolute right to prevent you from accessing the web site, without prejudice to any of its accrued rights, where The Publisher in its sole discretion considers that you are contravening the Acceptable Use Policy or any other term or condition of these Terms and Conditions.
3. E-mail Policy
The Publisher reserves the right to take such action as in its sole discretion it deems fit in respect of any electronic mail ("e-mail ") which contains threatening, abusive, malicious, pornographic, obscene, defamatory or otherwise illegal or inappropriate material.
Unless you indicate to the contrary, all e-mails received by The Publisher from you are deemed to have been submitted, where appropriate, for publication, free of charge. If The Publisher decides to publish an e-mail from you on the web site it will incur no liability to you by doing so. The Publisher will not disclose any personal information under any circumstances of any of its staff. Where appropriate The Publisher will endeavour to respond to e-mails promptly, but gives no warranty that it will respond to any e-mail received.
You agree that The Publisher has no control over third party content and information which can be accessed using the web site and that it does not examine or edit the use to which you or others put the web site or the nature of the content or information being accessed and that it is excluded from all liability of any kind arising from such content or information. You agree that except for death or personal injury arising through The Publisher's negligence, to the fullest extent permitted by law, The Publisher excludes any liability whatsoever for any loss or damage arising from use of the web site. You furthermore agree to indemnify The Publisher in the manner set out in clause 5 below in relation to your use of the web site.
The Publisher reserves the right to remove any information/material it deems to be in breach of any of these Terms and Conditions without notice, and without prejudice to any other accrued rights, and/or to make available such information/material when required to do so by law or when requested to do so by regulatory bodies or law enforcement organisations.
The Publisher takes all such steps as are reasonably necessary to provide a fast and reliable service, but exclude to the fullest extent permitted by law any liability for the security of the services on the web site or for any disruption of the web site however caused, loss of or corruption of any material in transit, or loss of or corruption of material when downloaded onto any computer systems.
The Publisher makes no warranty whatsoever as to any goods or services purchased or obtained or offered to you through use of the web site, whether accessed directly or otherwise. The web site is provided on an "as is" basis and The Publisher makes no representations or warranties of any kind as to the web site or the content. The Publisher makes no representations or warranties about the accuracy, completeness or suitability for any purpose of the content published on the web site. Any liability however it occurs, for any such inaccuracies or errors is expressly excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.
You agree to indemnify and hold The Publisher and any of its officers, employees and agents harmless from and against all and any expenses, losses, liabilities, damages, costs or expenses incurred or suffered and any claims or legal proceedings which are brought or threatened, in each case arising from your use of, or conduct on, the web site and/or a breach of the Acceptable Use Policy and/or any of these Terms and Conditions.
6. Software and Security
We are not responsible for any technical or other issues that may arise if you download software from an external third party web site (eg Acrobat Reader) or upgrade your browser software to enhance your usage of the web site.
7. Changes to these Terms and Conditions
The Publisher reserves the right to make changes to any part of the web site. Due to a policy of updating and improving the web site, it may be necessary to change these Terms and Conditions. The date on which they were last updated is indicate at the beginning of these Terms and Conditions.
If you use the web site after such changes have been published, you will be agreeing to be bound by those changes. If you do not agree to be bound by them, you should not use the web site.
8. Advertising and Sponsorship
The web site may contain advertising and sponsorship. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted for inclusion on the web site complies with applicable laws, codes and regulations. The Publisher excludes to the fullest extent permitted by law any responsibility for any error or inaccuracy appearing in any advertising or sponsorship material.
9. Competitions, Prize Draws and Chargeable Content
The Publisher may from time to time run competitions, free prize draws and/or other promotions on the web site and may offer content the access to and use of which, incurs a charge. These will be subject to additional terms and conditions that will be made known to you at the relevant time.
The Publisher may terminate the provision of the web site or restrict your access to it without any prior notice to you where (by way of example and without limitation):
- there is a regulatory or statutory change limiting The Publisher's ability to provide the web site;
- any event beyond The Publisher's reasonable control prevents same from continuing to provide the web site (for example, without limitation, technical difficulties, capacity problems and communications failures); or
- The Publisher considers in its sole discretion that you are abusing the services provided by the web site or are otherwise acting in breach of these Terms and Conditions.
Your dealings with any third parties, in particular advertisers and/or merchants, via the web site, and any terms or conditions agreed with, or representations given by, such third parties, are solely between you and such third party. You agree that The Publisher is not liable for such dealings, and you agree to indemnify sane in the manner referred to in clause 5 above in relation to such dealings.
12. Choice of Law and Jurisdiction
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with English law and you irrevocably agree that the courts of England shall (subject to the paragraph below) have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise out of, under, or in connection with, these Terms and Conditions.
The Publisher shall retain the right to bring proceedings as to the substance of the matter in any court or courts including, if appropriate, in the courts of your country of residence or, where these Terms and Conditions are entered into in the course of your trade or profession, the country of your principal place of business.
You may not assign, sub-license or otherwise transfer any of your rights under these Terms and Conditions. If any part of these Terms and Conditions is found to be invalid by any court having competent jurisdiction the validity of the remaining terms will be unaffected. If either party does not exercise any right or remedy under these Terms and Conditions, this will not be taken to mean that they have been waived.
If you have any queries concerning any part of these Terms and Conditions please contact us:
- by email, at:
- by post, at: 4th Floor, St Alphgate House, 2 Fore Street, London EC2Y 5DH, England.
15. Information Management
The Publisher will use any personal data collected during your use of the web site in accordance with current UK data protection legislation.
When you visit the web site you may be sent a cookie. A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your computer's hard disc for record keeping purposes and The Publisher may use them to do a number of things:
- Cookies help to identify you when you next visit the web site and note the advertisements displayed to you. This allows The Publisher to tailor the advertisements provided to your preferences. The services of a third party ad server may be used for this purpose.
- Cookies may be used to compile anonymous statistics related to the take up or use of services, or to patterns of browsing. A third party collects such data on behalf of The Publisher to measure the performance of the web site. Information collected is aggregated for reporting purposes. No personally identifiable information is collected by this service. The use of this service assists in measuring and improving the structure and ease of use of the web site. You are not obliged to accept cookies and may modify your browser so that it will not accept cookies. Please be aware that if you do so, certain services on the web site may not be available to you.
Whilst The Publisher will make every reasonable effort to ensure that children's privacy and other rights are not compromised, it is ultimately the responsibility of parents to monitor their children's Internet usage.
The Publisher takes every precaution to protect your personal information. Should The Publisher by means of on-screen instructions ask you to submit financial information, such as your credit card number, industry standard technology for secure commerce transactions will be employed. It encrypts data, including your credit card number. Most banks or credit card providers either cover all charges resulting from unauthorised use of your credit card or limit your liability to a maximum amount. Refer to your credit card agreement to check your coverage for liability. You are also advised to check your coverage for liability for unauthorised use of other cards such as debit cards.
What Else you Should Know about Privacy
Remember to close your browser when you have finished your user session. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe. You as an individual are responsible for the security of, and access to, your own computer.
Please be aware that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information over the Internet that this information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information in publicly accessible online forums, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your usernames and passwords and any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are using the Internet.
Our web site may contain links to other web sites, and you should be aware that The Publisher is not responsible for the privacy practices on other web sites.